Dr John Wyeth
MB ChB 1983 Otago; FRACP 1991; MD 1995 Otago, FRCP (London), CMInstDir 2018.
I am a Gastroenterologist, a medical specialist with an interest in disorders of the digestive system and liver. I have recognised training in adult and paediatric gastroscopy, colonoscopy, and motility studies (manometry and 24-hour oesophageal pH impedance).
I am involved with medical student teaching as an honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer for Wellington School of Medicine. I have an ongoing interest in research, and my MD thesis was looking at the effects of fibre metabolism in the colon, which has relevance for the understanding of diet, the microbiome and health.
In addition to my clinical practice I am the Regional Clinical Lead for Bowel Cancer Screening, Central Region. Previously I have held the role of Medical Director of PHARMAC and I am a Chartered Member of the Institute of Directors.
- Bowel cancer screening
- Inflammatory bowel disease (adult and paediatric)
- Management of undiagnosed abdominal pain
- Assessment of altered bowel habit and other gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Functional gastrointestinal disorders, including irritable bowel syndrome.
- Motility disorders of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux and atypical presentations with chest pain and cough.